The office occupies a portion of the first floor of an existing 1912 Haymarket building. The original building program was that of a wholesale grocer and fruit dealer. Since the 1960’s the building has undergone various programmatic changes and the result is a multi-use facility with living units above commercial and retail.
Sharing open floor area with another service firm it became essential to provide new dialogues within the space along with partial separation. The open floor plate, once home to another architecture firm, offered the notion of a space within a space or box within a box. The notion of the box was then peeled back, broken and refolded symbolizing the firms commitment to thinking along differing paradigms.
To continue, webbed translucent panels provide partial separation and distort passing images offering users varying levels of exposure. High gloss coating over the unfolded box continues the refraction of these images and begins a dialogue of contrast with the neutral palette of the existing building. The panels redirect light, sound and movement as the user moves through the space creating yet another dialogue between user and space. Together these contrasting elements provide a new catalyst typology within the existing space.